In This Section

Seeking to Return to RU-N to Complete Your Degree?

If you were previously enrolled and matriculated into Rutgers University-Newark and have stopped-out (took time off/did not attend RU-N for one semester or more/etc) and/or are seeking a second undergraduate degree, you will need to follow the process below.

Re-Enrollment Application Process

  1. Review Application Deadline(s)
  2. Complete and Submit the Online Application 
  3. Check the Status of your Application 

Criteria for Re-Enrollment

General Criteria

  • Any student previously enrolled and matriculated in any of the Rutgers University's undergraduate divisions.
  • You must have completed a minimum of one (1) fall and/or spring academic term as a matriculated student at Rutgers University. 
  • You must have stopped-out for at least one (1) fall and/or spring academic term. Summer and winter sessions not included. 
  • You must have been in good academic standing with your school prior to not enrolling for at least one (1) semester or more.
  • Students who were not in good academic standing priort to stopping-out will need to speak with academic advising office.
  • Students currently enrolled as non-matriculated may not use this process to officially enroll at the university. Student seeking to fully matriculate into the university should consult the Office of Admissions and the appropriate academic catalog.
  • For specific criteria for each of the undergraduate schools, you can visit the details on the re-enrollment page.

Disciplinary Status

  • You must indicate on your applications if you have been or are currently under review for disciplinary action, judicial sanction, or a violation of the academic integrity policy at your present school.


  • The university registrar will automatically forward your Rutgers academic transcript to the college after you submit your online application for re-enrollment.
  • You must also provide copies of other college transcripts or academic records. Submit transcript(s) to:

Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions
190 University Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102

Foreign Language Study

  • You must show evidence of two years of sequential foreign language study in high school or one year of sequential foreign language study at the college level.
  • If you have academic credentials from a foreign country, you must have these credentials evaluated by World Education Services, Submit the credit evaluation to:

Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions
190 University Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102

Additional Information

Beyond the general criteria, undergraduate schools/colleges may have added criteria, which are available on the websites for each school/college:

Key Contacts

Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions

(973) 353-5205
35 Warren StreetNewarkNJ07102

Main contact