Degree Planning

In This Section

We can help you plan your degree and get closer to graduation.

It’s important for you to take the right courses in the right order so that you can fulfill degree requirements and meet the learning outcomes that the university has set up for your program. One of the most important things that your advisor can help you with is developing an academic plan.

Think of your academic plan as a road map to the completion of your degree. Your academic plan will include a list of courses that you plan to take each semester to complete your degree. The earlier you and your advisor start working on an academic plan, the clearer your path to a degree.


Rutgers University-Newark is committed to supporting you to your goal of graduation.

  • Completing 30 credits over the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer semesters to remain on track to graduate in four years for first years and two years for transfer students.
  • If you cannot take a total of 30 credits, please work closely with your academic advisor on your academic progress.

More on 30 credits to graduation 


Still have questions about Degree Planning?

How do I know who my advisor is?
Back to Top

Check with the Office of Academic Advising and Student Services within each of the undergraduate Schools/Colleges. If you’re not sure what college you’re in, you can log into the RU-N4Success platform. Log in with your Rutgers NetID. The school that you are enrolled in will appear on the screen. To help with any confusion, we have listed the Rutgers University–Newark undergraduate schools and colleges below:

Back to Top
How do I make an appointment with my advisor?
Back to Top

You can make an appointment with your academic advisor through the RU-N4Success platform. Log in with your Rutgers NetID, and click on the “Get Advising” button.

You can also set up an appointment with an advisor by visiting or calling the Office of Academic Advising and Student Services.

You may have additional advisors at the university, including advisors from your major academic department, your minor academic department, or a specialized program. If you participate in programs like the Educational Opportunity Fund, the Honors Living Learning Community, or the Honors College, you will also have access to advisors in those programs.

Back to Top
By when do I need to declare my major?
Back to Top

You should have declared your major by the time you have earned 60 credits.

Back to Top
How do I declare or change my major?
Back to Top

Keep in mind that indicating the major on your application does not necessarily mean that your major is declared.

If you are enrolled in the Rutgers Business School (RBS), School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA) and/or the School of Criminal Justice (SCJ), you must complete the school-specific Declaration of major/minor form and have it signed by your academic advisor. 

RBS students need to contact Senior Counselor, Lin Williams, at for the RBS Declaration of major/minor form.  

SPAA Declaration  of major/minor form will be available on the SPAA website soon

Students in the Newark College of Arts and Sciences (NCAS) and University College (UC) must complete the NCAS/UC Declaration of major/minor form with the academic department. You must meet with a member of the faculty, who will advise you on the requirements for the major or minor. Your faculty advisor must sign the major or minor form before it is returned to the NCAS/UC Office of Academic Services. 

Back to Top
Where can I see the requirements for my major?
Back to Top

Each academic department's website should list an outline of requirements for their programs (majors and minors). You can also follow your degree progress with Degree Navigator. Log in with your Rutgers NetID and enter your Rutgers University ID number.

If you have any trouble accessing this information, you should visit your Office of Academic Advising and Student Services:

Back to Top