Bring Family Members As Dependents on F-2/J-2 Visa

In This Section

Eligibility for F-2/J-2 Dependent Visa Status

Only a spouse and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 of a student/scholar in F-1 or J-1 status are eligible for F-2 or J-2 dependent status.  Children over the age of 21, parents, brothers, sisters and other family members are NOT eligible for F-2 or J-2 dependent status. They may come to visit on B2 visitor visa. Please click here for information about how to invite foreign guests to visit you in the U.S.

If your spouse and/or child(ren) plan to visit you in the U.S. for a short period of time, they may also enter the U.S. on B2 visitor visa. If you wish for them to stay with you for the duration of your studies, they will have to enter in F-2 or J-2 dependent status to remain in the U.S.

Procedures and Documentation Required for Obtaining F-2/J-2 Visa

1. Obtaining Dependent Form I-20 or DS-2019:

Form I-20 or DS-2019 for the dependent(s) is required to apply for an F-2/J-2 dependent visa. The following documentation must be submitted to OISS to obtain the dependent I-20/DS-2019:

  • Marriage Certificate (MUST be translated in ENGLISH)
  • Copy of personal identification page of dependent passport(s)
  • Financial documentation of $5,000 for spouse and $4,000 for each child to prove sufficient funding to cover living expenses for all dependents to stay in the U.S.     
  • Health insurance for each dependent. (See "Health Insurance” on OISS website for coverage requirement and cost. To purchase Rutgers insurance, please contact Eirinn Jones, International Health Insurance Coordinator by email at If you have an assistantship which provides you with health insurance, please ask your hiring department to complete and sign Page 2 of the REQUEST FOR FORM I-20/DS-2019 FOR F-2/J-2 DEPENDENT(S) confirming that your dependent(s) will be covered by employee health benefits. (Note: Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Form(s) will not be issued if proof of health insurance is not provided.)
  • Check or Money order payable to Rutgers University for the one time SEVIS Administrative fee payment of $50.00 for spouse and $25 for each child.

2. Applying for F-2 or J-2 Visa at U.S. Consulate:

Dependent(s) should submit the following documents to the U.S. consulate nearest to their home for F-2 or J-2 visa application:

  • Original Dependent Form I-20 or DS-2019 properly signed, financial documentation, passport and passport-type photo
  • Invitation letter from F-1/J-1 student/scholar
  • Photocopy of F-1/J-1 student's/scholar's most recent I-20/DS-2019, F-1/J-1 visa, I-94 record and passport bio page and expiration date

Key Contacts

Honors Living Learning Community (HLLC)226 & 227
48 New StreetNewarkNJ07102

OISS In-Person Walk-In Hours:

* No appointment necessary. *
Monday - Thursday: 10:00am – 3:00pm

Friday, Saturday, Sunday: CLOSED

Virtual one-on-one appointments available at  Rutgers Newark - OISS (